Periodontal disease affects the supporting structures of the teeth. Gingivitis and periodontitis are the most common types of periodontal disease and both are caused by the bacterial plaque that normally inhabits the mouth.
Gingivitis, a common condition, is inflammation of the gum and can be resolved with good oral hygiene measures. However, periodontitis, affecting 10-15% of the population, is a far more damaging inflammatory condition that destroys the supporting ligament and bone, eventually leading to tooth loss.
The signs and symptoms of both conditions vary from none at all, to loose teeth and drifting teeth. Why 10-15% of individuals are susceptible to this more destructive condition is not fully understood. Some of the major factors affecting periodontitis include smoking, uncontrolled diabetes, specific strains of bacteria in the plaque, personal stress levels and family history.
At Dental Excellence Harewood, our specialist periodontist, Imran Sharif and hygienist can help you cure your gingivitis and manage periodontal disease affecting your teeth. Periodontal treatment depends on the severity of the disease and ranges from teaching you improved oral hygiene technique, to non-surgical and surgical therapies.
Non-surgical periodontal therapy: is the mainstay of initial periodontal treatment. The aim of this non-surgical therapy is to remove plaque, calculus and toxins that are in contact with the tooth root surface from below the gum line. Our experienced team will complete this treatment using a specifically tailored approach, which can be used in conjunction with, EMS Perio-Flow Therapy™ and laser technology:
- The EMS Perio-Flow™ system projects a combination of air, erythritol powder and water on to the root and implant surfaces. Our periodontal team are able to use this system to access deep pockets around teeth and implants to ensure effective disruption of the bacterial biofilm as well as inhabitation of plaque formation.
- Laser technology: changes the environment in the gum pocket through the removal of toxins and calculus and helps to promote healthy tissue regeneration. The effectiveness of this treatment is superior to the more traditional therapy and quite often proves to be a more comfortable experience for the patient. By eliminating toxins and irritants, the gum tissue is able to heal and consequently the pockets begin to shrink. We conduct this treatment under local anaesthetic to increase comfort levels for our patients and may even split the treatment into two or more sessions if we believe it will be beneficial to the patient’s comfort.
Surgical periodontal therapy: In certain situations, periodontal treatments like scaling and root planning alone may not be sufficient to deal with periodontitis, especially in patients who had more severe disease at the outset. These patients may require further treatment in the form of surgical periodontal therapy. Modern surgical treatments are generally minimally invasive. There are a variety of surgical techniques used in the management of severe periodontitis, each having their own specific indication.
Cosmetic periodontal procedures performed by the specialist periodontist include
- Crown Lengthening: Certain individuals have teeth that look too short or show too much gum when they smile, typically referred to as ”gummy” smile. This procedure is often used to remove the excess of gum, and expose the teeth that are hiding underneath. The individual’s gum line can be delicately sculpted to create the right proportion between gum and tooth, which will result in an aesthetic looking smile.
- Mucogingival / Root coverage procedures: Gum recession can cause individuals to have tooth sensitivity, decay as well as make it difficult for patients to clean the area and effect gingival aesthetics. At Dental Excellence Harewood, the specialist periodontist uses microsurgical periodontal techniques that can dramatically improve the look of an individual smile and teeth. While reducing the chances of further recession, reduce dentine sensitivity and protect the root from cavities.
If you would like to know how we can help you to enhance your smile at a pace and price to suit you and your lifestyle, Please call us on 0113 218 1919.
Thank you for all your kindness, skill and friendship. To say you have made me smile is an understatement. You have changed my life for the better in so many ways. It has been an exciting journey over the past year and the results are beyond my dreams.
Dentists. Artists. Dream Makers
Meet our highly experienced Team of clinicians, led by 3 Partners; Donald Sloss, Jon Swarbrigg & Mark Willings all of whom excel in their individual fields they are supported by a team of Specialist dentists, all of whom have advanced skills, knowledge and experience to deliver life changing dentistry.
To read their biographies, click on the images below.
Whilst we offer routine dental care at a competitive price, our team’s advanced skills and knowledge enable them to treat patients ranging from the simple dental problems to the very complex requirements. For the more complex treatments our team would work together to ensure the best possible outcome.
FREE ADVICE CLINIC
To arrange a free no obligation discussion with our Treatment Coordinator please call 0113 218 1919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up to date
After a car accident, Molly was left with dental problems for over ten years. She made the decision to visit Dental Excellence Harewood, and she...
How can Root Canal treatment help?
Root canal treatment is often described by many as a painful treatment, however, that is no longer the case. Latest technological advancements and improvement in...
Teeth Whitening at Dental Excellence
These days, the quest for white teeth seems to be never-ending, with many toothpastes claiming to result in whiter teeth. Then there are the kits...
- 0113 218 1919
- Dental Excellence Harewood, Moor House, 72a The Square, Harewood, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS17 9LQ
- Monday: 8am - 5pm
- Tuesday: 8am - 5pm
- Wednesday: 8am - 5pm
- Thursday: 8am - 5pm
- Friday: 8am - 5pm
- Late evenings by arrangement